Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Such a small country, yet so much machismo

I just got off the phone with the secretary of a local Rotary club.  I was calling because I wanted to schedule a visit to the club before I leave Montevideo in December, but I was basically rejected outright.  The conversation went a little something like this:

Me:  Hi, I'm Jessica.  I'm a Rotary Scholar in Montevideo this year, and I was hoping I could come to your club for a visit and get to know the members and your projects and maybe make a presentation about my state.

Rotarian:  I believe I've met you before.  You were at the Changing of the Guard, weren't you?  Well, I can't tell you yes or no right now.  I'll have to meet with the other men.  See, we're a club of all men.  There are lots of these clubs in Montevideo.  And, well, we only have one meeting a month where we permit ladies to come, and we've already had that meeting for October.  We weren't planning on having one for November because that's almost the end of the year.  By the way, your Spanish is excellent.  Where did you learn?...[More chit chat: insert nice, friendly conversation here about his daughter who lives in Spain and how he's travelled all over the United States but has NO IDEA where Tennessee is -ALL THE MORE REASON TO COME TO YOUR CLUB, BUDDY! -and that he knows Memphis has a good basketball team, etc. This was very misleading because I thought he was changing his mind]...

Rotarian continues: Well, I'll talk with the president but it really seems complicated.  Also, it's very difficult to get to our club. [Besides my university and my apartment, I would say this building is one that I've passed most frequently, and it is, in fact, VERY easy to get to...and very famous!! He was actually insinuating that I would not be able to find
HIS CLUBBut, of course, how could my little, female pea brain look up an address and actually find it on a map!?] Why don't you go to a women's club where you'll feel more comfortable?  I mean, you can come to our club of all men, but I think you'll find you will feel very out of place.

Me: I'm not afraid of men.

Rotarian:  Or you could just come on down.  But let me talk to the president first.  I'm not promising anything.  I may call you.

Me:  Okay?  Chau.

I would like to note that most Rotary clubs in Uruguay consist of all men...and they LOVE me (mostly because I bring Jack Daniels with me when I visit).  Regardless, I've never had a problem with the men (at the clubs).  They have always been respectful and have at least pretended to listen to my presentations.  I can't think of the last time anyone was so condescending to me, but that's just the way it goes.  Gotta roll with the punches.  But, when I punch back, I'll be sure to dedicate a whole new post to my surprise visit to Rotary Club Anonymous.  

BOW!

1 comment:

  1. HI Jessica,

    My name is Hope (from Richmond, Va) and I'll be studying abroad in Montevideo in 2011 through Rotary (7600). I'd love to get in touch with you somehow and pick your brain. I'm also going to Universidad de la Republica. Are you on facebook?

    my facebook name is "Hopecita Foerster"
    my email is hope.foerster@gmail.com

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    I was really getting a kick out of your blog.

    ReplyDelete